SMS Backup & Restore Android App is a simple android app to Backup and Restore SMS Messages of your android device.
Features of this android app :
– Automatic Scheduled Backups.
– View Backup Contents on the phone.
– Option to backup selected conversations only.
– Backups are created in XML Format on the SD Card.
– The XML can then be converted to other formats and can also be viewed on a computer.
– Compatible to all version of Android OS
– Option to select which conversations to backup.
– Option to choose the format for the auto-generated file name.
– Restore SMS Messages.
– Option to select the backup file to be restored from the folder.
– View Messages in the backup files.
– Delete all SMS Messages on the Phone.
– Email a backup file.
– Delete existing backup files.
– Option to delete old files automatically after specified number of days.
– The backup is stored in /sdcard/SMSBackupRestore folder by default.
– Added Google Drive support (automatic upload using Add-On).
SMS Backup & Restore Android App home screen has 6 buttons:
– Backup SMS Messages: Backup all the messages on the phone to the xml file. Existing file is overwritten.
– Restore SMS Messages: Reads the xml file and creates a new message for every entry found in the file.
– View SMS Messages: View the SMS Messages in the Backup files.
– Delete Backup Files: Allows selection of backup files to be deleted.
– Delete SMS Messages: Deletes all the messages on the phone, so that a Restore can be performed.
– Donate: If you wish to donate for the App via PayPal App.
– The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
– Tested on Android v1.5 to v4.4.2
Important : Ensure that SMS Backup & Restore is excluded from Task Killer apps installed on your android that kills apps on a schedule (like Advanced Task Manager) from it, otherwise the Scheduled Backups may not work properly.
Known Problems / Issues of this android app:
– Recent firmware update of the Motorola Droid X (and possibly other Driod phones) seems to have created an issue where the Date on the restored messages appears to be the restore date rather than the actual date of the message. This issue is currently unresolved.
– Some messages threads have the time of restore instead of the actual time of the message.
– They do get sorted once you open the thread and then go back to the messages.
Changes in the latest version of this android app:
– Added basic search functionality.
– Fix for the french language error during backup.
– Added Translations
– Fixed a problem of backup files do not appear properly
– MMS attachments can now be viewed.
– backups can be viewed and restored directly from Email attachments and File Managers.
This is a free android application is last updated on April 27, 2014 by the developer. The latest version of this android app is 7.08 and requires ANDROID version 1.5 and up to be installed on your android device. This app is currently trending in Android Market under tools android apps and has 5,000,000 – 10,000,000 installations since its launch.
This android app will require approx 1.2 M of free space on your device for installation. This android app is rated 4.6 with 49,320 reviews at the time of writing this post. You can download this free android app.